Thursday 16 April 2015

This Book Could Be Ours: Saga Volume Two by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples


Second in the Saga Series
Genre: Adult, Graphic Novel, Sci-Fi, Space Opera
Published: 13th June 2013
Publisher: Image Comics
Length: 144 pages
Format: Trade Paperback
Source: Brought from my local Comic Store

Tell me more, tell me more...

From award-winning writer BRIAN K. VAUGHAN (Pride of Baghdad, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist FIONA STAPLES (Mystery Society, Done to Death), SAGA is sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the universe. Thanks to her star-crossed parents Marko and Alana, newborn baby Hazel has already survived lethal assassins, rampaging armies, and horrific monsters, but in the cold vastness of outer space, the little girl encounters her strangest adventure yet... grandparents.

Collects Saga issues #7-12


(I've given up rephrasing blurbs for books I review. From now on all blurbs in Italics are from Goodreads.)

Why did I read this?

There's a reason why Saga is one of the most popular comics out there at the moment. It's quirky, engrossing, thoughtful, funny and full of feeeeeels. After the reading the first volume last year I knew I'd have to revisit this series soon!

What I liked:

The appearance of Marko's parents: I love how this comic now has three generations interacting with one another. I've seldom read anything that has this dynamic. It really adds an extra something to the drama that goes along with being fugitives stuck together on a spaceship.

The cast of characters never seem overwhelming: Vaughn has to balance both the fleeing family and their pursuers, which is not an easy job! Every couple of issues seems to bring another vital character on board. The narrative flow never seems stifled or forced by this. The time we spent with every character feels natural as well as relevant.

Flashbacks: Don't want to spoil too much here; they work so well!

The Artwork: I love the bold, bright colours used to bring each planet alive. I love the diversity of size, shape and race in the characters. Basically I want to cover my room with (nearly) every panel in this graphic novel.

Who might like this?

All Science Fiction and Graphic Novel fans, readers craving something different and exciting as well as people wanting to see a humorous, realistic portrayal of a multi-generational relationship.

Final Thoughts:

Maybe I should have waited until this series was finished so I could binge read it all at once... Oh well, I'm in it until the end! Now, where's the next volume for me to read??

Any other Saga fans out there? Or graphic novel lovers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment